Monday, January 18, 2010

David Stoecklein

I chose to write about the photographer David Stoecklein because his pictures have always inspired me both in my degree as an equestrian major and as a photographer. He does mostly old western photography focusing mainly on the cowboy way of life. David started as a sports photographer for 15 years and then changed to western 20 years ago. Whenever I look at David's pictures I can feel the passion of his work coming through the pictures he takes.
I think he captures the raw essence of a time and culture that is almost gone in the world we now live in. In David's own words he says "What I found was truth, honesty, courage and a way of life, a culture that was first built on age-old principles. It is a culture where the people lived by a code where people relied on each other for help, support, and friendship, where people gave respect and people learned respect. This is a culture where you help your neighbor do his work and helps you. You watch his cattle and he watches yours".
I truly feel he wants to show the cowboy way of life to the rest of the world and that is why he strives so hard to capture this lost culture in the photos he takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment